Friday, January 23, 2015

Voice Updates repo_sync Stats

After Tim Sutton hopped into ##osx-server and freaked everyone out yesterday afternoon I decided to gather some before and after info.


df -H
Filesystem                 Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vgpool-lv_var  476G  239G  215G  53% /var

After repo_sync run (deprecated pkgs NOT purged):

/dev/mapper/vgpool-lv_var  476G  276G  179G  61% /var

I ran the repo_sync by hand before leaving work for the evening in a screen session. Here is the time info. YMMV depends on bandwidth etc. etc.

repo_sync run ended

real    189m24.841s
user    7m26.358s
sys     7m15.786s

There were 22 deprecated pkgs that were not voices cached (mostly xprotect etc.) I did a 

repoutil --purge-product all-deprecated

Which removed those 22 updates. This left only the voices from 2013-07-24, 2012-05-13, and 2012-03-16 as deprecated items.

Filesystem                 Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vgpool-lv_var  476G  274G  181G  61% /var

I added all the new voices in one shot with

repoutil --add-product all stable

Then got rid of the deprecated ones without having to remove them from the catalogs via

repoutil --purge-product all-deprecated --force

This finally brought the final disk usage to:

Filesystem                 Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vgpool-lv_var  476G  222G  232G  49% /var

tl;dr You need a few hours and about 37GB to download all the new voices. But the new voices alone actually take up less space than the old ones did.

No comments:

Post a Comment